FAQ for Individuals


1. What does ECE mean by "original document?"

Original academic documents are the documents given directly to the student by the institution, usually at the time study is completed or the degree is awarded. Original academic documents are usually printed on the institution’s letterhead, and have a fresh ink stamp, raised seal, and/or official signatures. Original academic documents will be returned with the completed evaluation report. 

2. What does ECE mean by "documents issued in sealed envelopes?"

Official academic documents are documents issued by the institution in an envelope stamped and sealed by the institution. Because official academic documents are issued in a sealed and stamped envelope for academic purposes, they become the property of ECE and will not be returned.

3. Do you evaluate work experience?

No, we only evaluate academic work and educational credentials.

4. How long will it take to prepare my evaluation report?

Processing times may vary, but typically a report  is completed within 10 business days of receiving all required documentation and fees. We also offer Rush Service.

5. When should I submit my documents and where should I send them?

You must complete and submit your application on our website prior to sending your documents.

Once you have submitted the online application, you will be asked to print the Document Matching Form and follow the instructions provided.

If you studied in a country from which we will accept photocopies of your documents, you may scan and email your documents as PDF attachments to ecemail@ece.org   

If you studied in a country from which we require original documents or documents issued in sealed envelopes, please send them to the address below:   

Educational Credential Evaluators
101 W. Pleasant Street Suite 200
Milwaukee, WI 53212-3963

6. For how long can I order a copy of my report?

An ECE® evaluation report is considered valid for 10 years. Because our research is ongoing, our evaluation policies and conclusions are subject to modification, revision, and clarification. To ensure ECE® evaluation reports reflect current research and evaluation policies, anyone whose evaluation report was completed more than 10 years ago needs to apply for a new evaluation report.  


In order to ensure that our evaluation reports reflect our current equivalencies and documentation standards, we are changing from our policy of issuing copies for up to 10 years to up to 5 years.

This policy change will go into effect on March 1, 2018:

  • Until March 1, 2018: You will be able to order copies of the evaluation report for 10 years after the report was first issued. If the report was prepared more than 10 years ago, you will need to apply and pay for a new report.
  • Starting March 1, 2018: you will be able to order copies of the evaluation report for 5 years from the date on the report. If the report was prepared more than 5 years ago, you will need to apply and pay for a new report.

7. Can I submit copies before sending the required original documents to begin the evaluation process?

No, we must receive complete documentation before beginning the evaluation process. If you are required to send original documents, do not send copies of the documents as well.

8. Will ECE return my original documents?

ECE will retain original documents that we receive in an institutional envelope that is sealed by the issuing body (school, university, examination board, etc). This includes documents that are received in envelopes sent directly to ECE by the issuing institution, and documents received in unopened institutional envelopes forwarded to ECE by the applicant. ECE will return original documents that were handled by the applicant and submitted to ECE without an envelope sealed by the issuing body.

9. What if my school is closed and I cannot obtain sealed-envelope documents?

Submit your original documents to us and include a written explanation of your circumstances.

10. What if I cannot meet the documentation requirements?

Unfortunately, we will not be able to prepare an evaluation report for you.

11. What if I completed a master's or doctoral degree program, and cannot obtain a grade report because there was no course work?

Submit your original degree or diploma, or official degree confirmation issued in a sealed envelope.

12. Can someone review my documents before I submit my order and payment?

No, we do not review educational documents without an application form and complete materials, including payment, for a report order.

13. Do I need to submit translations?

Yes, we require English translations for all documents issued in a language other than English.

Please do not submit original/certified translations since they will not be returned to you. Please submit complete, legible copies. You may prepare the translations yourself, as long as they are complete, literal, word-for-word, and in the same format as the original document.

14. How can I obtain an English translation if I must send the educational document to you in a sealed envelope?

If the content of the document matches the content of a document in your possession, then you can prepare the translation based on the document in your possession. If you do not know the content of the document in the sealed envelope, then you should request two sets of sealed envelopes from your institution, so you can open one set to be translated.

15.What are the verification and authentication services that you will use?

Many government-authorized agencies and educational institutions around the world provide services to verify or authenticate educational documents. These services include online databases, internet authentication services, or official institutions or agencies that send authenticated official documents directly to us by mail. Please see the documentation requirements for individual countries to determine whether or not a verification or authentication service is required in your case.

16. Does ECE always contact educational institutions in other countries to verify documents submitted for evaluation?

Our trained evaluation staff reviews all educational documents submitted to establish their authenticity.

We reserve the right to contact educational and other institutions to verify the authenticity of any documents received. In the limited cases in which we must contact institutions for verification, the evaluation process may be delayed, sometimes substantially.

Normally, we will wait a maximum of six months for a satisfactory response to our verification requests. During this period, we will make two attempts to contact the issuing institution using the best contact information available to us, including email, post, and fax.

Because the verification of documents depends on the responsiveness of third parties in other countries, this process can significantly delay the preparation of our evaluation report and, in some cases, may prevent us from completing any report at all. We will not issue an evaluation report whenever substantial concerns about the documents submitted have not been satisfactorily resolved.

17. Can I provide ECE with my school’s verification service even if it is not listed in your documentation requirements for my country?

Yes.  We encourage the use of verification and authentication services and will determine in each instance whether or not it is acceptable.

18. Do I need to submit original documents if ECE also requires a verification or authentication service?

You should review the documentation requirements by country to determine if original documents are required in addition to a verification or authentication service. In general, it is not necessary to provide original documents for information contained in a verification or authentication response. However, in some cases the verified information does not cover the complete set of documents. For example, if we can verify graduation online through your school, but not the content or grades of the subjects studied, then an original grade report would be required along with a simple photocopy of your degree.

19. How do I make a request for a copy of a previously prepared report?

Please log into your account to order copies of a previously prepared report.

20. I already have an evaluation report, and now I need a new type of report. What should I do?

You must complete and submit a new application form, including the applicable fees and educational documents according to current ECE® documentation requirements.

21. I did not study in the UK, but took examinations administered by a UK board. What country documentation requirements do I follow?

Please refer to the England country information. For external exams, you will need to follow the requirements for England, not the requirements for the country where your actual teaching institution was located.

22. I studied for an International Baccalaureate diploma or certificate. Where do I find the documentation requirements?

Please refer to the Switzerland country information.