Skip to Content

FAQ for Institutions

Frequently Asked Questions

Open AllClose All
How long does it take ECE to complete a report?

We've streamlined our process to deliver our reports in an average of just 5 business days.

We also offer Rush Service if you need the report sooner.

How do I sign up for Dispatch?

Only institutions can sign up for Dispatch.  Before you begin, be sure you are the right person to create the account.  After you create the account, you will be asked to confirm that you are an authorized representative of your institution.

Read more about Dispatch and create an account.

How do I order a report on behalf of a student?

If you are ordering, paying, and submitting documents for a report on behalf of one or more individuals, we recommend you create an ECE® Dispatch account.

If you are paying for another individual's report, but the individual will place the order and submit his or her own documents, you should follow the steps under the Individuals section.

If you are helping an individual gather information and/or helping an individual with the process of ordering an evaluation report, but the individual will place the order, pay, and submit his or her own documents, follow the steps under the Individuals section.

See our Agencies page for more information.

How can my students or applicants apply to ECE for a report?

We provide easy online ordering. The students will create an online account with us to order their report. Our order system will guide them through the process. Then they should send us their documents according to our Documentation Requirements.

If at any time the student has questions or needs help, our Customer Service Representatives are available Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Central Time.

If my institution orders a report, can the student order copies?

Only the person who ordered the original report can order copies.

This means that if your institution originally orders the report, the student will not be able to order a copy. You must order a copy for the student, or the student will have to order a new report.

What are your Documentation Requirements?

Our Documentation Requirements vary by country.  See the Documentation Requirements page for details.

How can I refer students to you?

You can refer students to our Individuals section of our website, where they can find information about our reports and order online.

If you would like to add a referral link or logo to your website, please contact us at

What if our applicants cannot get their official documents?

Brand New - ECE® Scholar Profile

ECE has heard from you and your applicants – during these challenging times it can be very difficult or impossible to obtain the official documents that meet ECE’s stringent country-specific documentation requirements.

You may be familiar with the ECE® Exclusive Use Report, our credential evaluation report that is based on the documents that you provide us, which can include photocopies and scans.  Until now, only the institution could order, and therefore pay for, this type of report.  Your applicants are now able to order, pay for, and submit a similar report to you, if you will accept it.  This report will clearly state that it is based on unauthenticated documentation and will allow you to confidently make an admissions decision, confirm an enrolling student has the prerequisites they need for their upcoming program, or complete a transfer credit articulation.

Open AllClose All
Do you always contact educational institutions in other countries to verify documents submitted for evaluation?

Our trained evaluation staff reviews all educational documents submitted to establish their authenticity.

We reserve the right to contact educational and other institutions to verify the authenticity of any documents received. In the limited cases in which we must contact institutions for verification, the evaluation process may be delayed, sometimes substantially.

Normally, we will wait a maximum of six months for a satisfactory response to our verification requests. During this period we will make two attempts to contact the issuing institution using the best contact information available to us, including email, post, and fax.

Because the verification of documents depends on the responsiveness of third parties in other countries, this process can significantly delay the preparation of our evaluation report and, in some cases, may prevent us from completing a report. We will not issue an evaluation report when substantial concerns about the documents submitted have not been satisfactorily resolved.

What are the verification and authentication services you use?

Many government-authorized agencies and educational institutions around the world provide services to verify or authenticate educational documents. These services include online databases, internet authentication services, or official institutions or agencies that send authenticated official documents directly to us by mail. Please see the Documentation Requirements for individual countries to determine whether or not a verification or authentication service is required in your case.


Do I need to submit original documents if you also require a verification or authentication service?

You should review the Documentation Requirements by country to determine if original documents are required in addition to a verification or authentication service. In general, it is not necessary to provide original documents for information contained in a verification or authentication response. However, in some cases the verified information does not cover the complete set of documents. For example, if we can verify graduation online through the school, but not the content or grades of the subjects studied, then an original grade report would be required along with a simple photocopy of the degree.

Does ECE consider 3-year degrees equivalent to U.S. Bachelor degrees?

The National Center for Education Statistics defines a bachelor’s degree as “A degree granted for the successful completion of a baccalaureate program of studies, usually requiring at least 4 years (or equivalent) of full-time college-level study.” 

It is a basic principle of applied comparative education that one year of full time study at one university, in one country, is roughly equivalent to one year of full time study at any other university in any other country.  Therefore, in our judgment, a bachelor's program which requires a minimum of three years full time undergraduate study is not the equivalent of a bachelor's degree program in the Unites States; rather, it represents completion of the equivalent of three years of full time undergraduate study in the United States.

Some students take less than four years to complete a bachelor's degree program in the US, as a result of receiving advanced standing and/or taking classes on an accelerated schedule. However, this is based on exceptional circumstances and does not change the fact that the bachelor's degree program in the US is defined as normally requiring a minimum of four years (eight semesters) of full-time academic work.  We are aware of no regionally-accredited bachelor's degrees in the United States that are defined as normally requiring no more than three years (six semesters) of full time undergraduate study.  

Completing a four-year bachelor's degree in less than four years in the US is an exception and does not change how the bachelor's degree is defined in the US.  It is not appropriate, in our judgment, to compare what is an exception in the US to what is the norm in any other country. Thus, a degree that is defined in another country as requiring a minimum of three years of study would not normally be, in our judgment, the equivalent of a degree that is defined in the US as requiring a minimum of four years of study.